«too many open file errors» java can't identify protocol

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

abs

«too many open file errors» java can't identify protocol

Postby abs » 28 Jan 2014, 16:32

We have smarFoxServer Pro 1.6.9 and use it currently at OS Linux Centos 4.9. We have faced a problem using product. From time to time the SmarFoxServer turns off with the error «too many open file errors» in the log file. If we increase ulimit parameter from 50 000 to 100 000 - this error message appeared not so frequently. If we use the command “lsof”, we receive more then 60% events that contain following:

java 26440 root 64u sock 0,6 0t0 20881473 can't identify protocol

We guess the issue may be solved by the following link, when we go to bug tracker SUN http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6745052
The same issue is described there, and the wayout is to update Java to 1.7.41. Now smartfox server uses Java 1.6.0-13.
Can we update Java to 1.7.41 and if YES than how?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: «too many open file errors» java can't identify protoc

Postby Lapo » 04 Feb 2014, 10:24

Hi,
sorry for the delay in responding.

If we use the command “lsof”, we receive more then 60% events that contain following:
java 26440 root 64u sock 0,6 0t0 20881473 can't identify protocol

This is normal, lsof is simply not able to recognize the SFS protocol. No big deal.

We guess the issue may be solved by the following link, when we go to bug tracker SUN http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6745052
The same issue is described there, and the wayout is to update Java to 1.7.41. Now smartfox server uses Java 1.6.0-13.
Can we update Java to 1.7.41 and if YES than how?

At the moment I am not able to reach the link you have posted. I don't know if it's a temporary issue, I will retry.

I don't think it's an issue with JRE 6 though. We have hundreds of customers running SFS PRO with thousands of connections under Linux and they work just fine.

One thing I see however is that we have had several specific reports with old CentOS distros where the JVM was not running stable. So this is a known issue which seems to have been fully resolved in CentOS 6.x

In any case you can try to update the SFS embedded JRE. You just need to download the new one and replace the old jre/ folder inside the SFS installation with the new one. I'd recommend keeping a backup of the previous JRE in case you need to revert back.

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
abs

Re: «too many open file errors» java can't identify protoc

Postby abs » 17 Feb 2014, 16:43

Thanks for a reply.

I've replaced jre/ folder inside the SFS installation. SFS is working.
If the problem come back, I'll write.

Thanks again.

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”