Authoritative Server

Need help with SmartFoxServer? You didn't find an answer in our documentation? Please, post your questions here!

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

MaxHammer

Authoritative Server

Postby MaxHammer » 08 Jul 2010, 00:01

Hello. I'm about to begin development of a small scale virtual community and have decided to use SmartFoxServer, Unity3D & Cheetah3D. I've been looking over and evaluating many tools over the past few weeks, and have decided on these tools primarily due to favourable user feedback, and each having an active forum.

I'm set with Unity3D and Chetah3D. However, before I fully commit to sfs, I would like to ensure that sfs will allow me to perform a few critical actions.

In the community I'll be building, it is important to have a city bus stop at a bus stop, allow users to board the bus, and then drive to the next bus stop where users can get off the bus. The bus must follow a schedule and as such should be controlled from the server.

Using sfs, will it be possible to control the bus? Essentially, the server simply has to maintain the position of the bus and synchronize this with any connected users.

I've read on other forums that sfs is considered a 'non-authoratative' server, whereas I believe that I might require an 'authoritative' server to handle my needs. However, sfs looks promising and I'm betting that what I require is achievable.

All my other requirements fall into the same rough category - so this is basically a deal breaker.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kelly
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 10 Jul 2010, 08:18

Hi,
Using sfs, will it be possible to control the bus? Essentially, the server simply has to maintain the position of the bus and synchronize this with any connected users.

Yes sure. You can write all sorts of complex server side logic using what we call "Extensions".
An extension is an application plugged in the server that reacts to user requests and server events and can interact with the server environment.
You find a lot of documentation in our online docs, especially in chapter 6.
http://www.smartfoxserver.com/docs/

I've read on other forums that sfs is considered a 'non-authoratative' server, whereas I believe that I might require an 'authoritative' server to handle my needs. However, sfs looks promising and I'm betting that what I require is achievable.

Maybe they were talking about SmartFoxServer Basic
The Basic edition doesn't support server side coding, so it's definitely targetd at games that run their logic on the client side.

SmartFoxServer PRO is fully authoritative. You can write your server code in Java, Actionscript/Javascript and Python

If you download our Unity API you'll find several examples including a Tic-Tac-Toe game that uses server side code.
Unity API are here -> http://www.smartfoxserver.com/labs/API

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
MaxHammer

Postby MaxHammer » 10 Jul 2010, 11:12

Lapo,

Thanks so much for the reply. This is fantastic news! I certainly don't mind learning the process behind coding the server side - but it was very important to ensure that sfs could do what I needed before i committed too much time to it.

I did look over the specific Unity3D API's and Extension's documentation and it all looks very well written which is a double bonus.

I actually just started my summer holidays (yeah) and wanted to get as much of the 'logic' either coded or at least mapped out before fall. Then spend the winter months modeling / artwork.

SFS was the last piece of the pie! Thanks again.

Kelly
SizzleWon

Re: Authoritative Server

Postby SizzleWon » 25 Jun 2014, 20:36

If you're making a game with unity, depending on the game type, I'd suggest going SmartFox 2X, I've found the MMO room logic to save me a lot of time and headache.

Plus there are some other goodies in it as well: http://www.smartfoxserver.com/products

Return to “SmartFoxServer 1.x Discussions and Help”