Simple Instantiation Question

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

SethiXzon

Simple Instantiation Question

Postby SethiXzon » 29 Jun 2011, 06:04

I'm making a physics game called PhysBlocks. PhysBlocks is adding multiplayer support, and I have decided to use SmartFoxServer to handle the networking. Everything functions fine, HOWEVER, there is one small issue that is a major issue for gameplay: clicking on something in PhysBlocks instantiates an object; a cube in this case. However, the other user cannot see it, even though we can see each other.

I have tried adding a NetworkTransform, NetworkTransformSender, and an AnimationSynchronizer; all of them together, and once without the former, and yet I still cannot see the objects.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I can notice latency when another user spams a large burst of bricks, yet I cannot see it. I can also see the chat and talk with them ingame.

A quick response would be appreciated, as the small community playing PhysBlocks (which is growing) is expecting me to release 0.1 soon, and it's been about a day or two since I promised the update.
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 29 Jun 2011, 09:04

Sorry - very vague error description if any :-D So makes it somewhat hard to help precisely.

Do you on instantiation on the creator client send a message to the other clients to instantiate a new object?

Do the client receive the data about the new block? On a network layer? As an instantiation of a remote avatar/ghost? Missing to link a prefab in?

Is the remote block in the scene tree but not rendering?

Errors on the console? In the player/editor log?

Phew - just a few questions to get you going :-)

/Thomas
Full Control - maker of Unity/C# and Java SFS API and indie games
Follow on twitter: http://twitter.com/thomas_h_lund
SethiXzon

Postby SethiXzon » 29 Jun 2011, 16:44

ThomasLund wrote:Sorry - very vague error description if any :-D So makes it somewhat hard to help precisely.

Do you on instantiation on the creator client send a message to the other clients to instantiate a new object?

Do the client receive the data about the new block? On a network layer? As an instantiation of a remote avatar/ghost? Missing to link a prefab in?

Is the remote block in the scene tree but not rendering?

Errors on the console? In the player/editor log?

Phew - just a few questions to get you going :-)

/Thomas

Sorry. I'll answer each specifically so you might get a better idea of my problem.

No, I do not send a message to the other clients to instantiate the new object.

I have no idea if they recieve data about it.

I have no console errors.

My blocks render, but the others do not; clearly because the scene is not recieving data from the other end and vice versa.

From what I can see my issue is the first one; do you have any idea how I would get it to send a particular message? Would it simply be a SendMessage to the other client with an instantiate function and it's appropriate arguments, or something far more complicated?

Please keep in mind that (this is going to make the problem much harder) I've been able to get this to work with a mixture of C# and Javascript scripts.
SethiXzon

Postby SethiXzon » 21 Jul 2011, 18:05

Okay, I've switched the project and it no longer has any physical calculations; now all I need to deal with is getting the blocks to instantiate to everyone on the server.

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”