A few words about .NET API beta 1

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

ThomasLund

A few words about .NET API beta 1

Postby ThomasLund » 21 Aug 2008, 18:04

Hi all,

I am the author of the .net API, and I would like to thank you for participating in the beta.

In that regards I would like to write a few words about weak points, known issues and similar, so you know about those.

Known bugs and "good to know" items

- HTTP failover when socket communication fails is not working. The HTTP part is in there, but it doesnt fail over on the client side

- buddy functionality has only been crudely tested. It would be good to hear back from you about succes/failure in that area

When used under Unity there are various issues

- it seems that exceptions are swallowed and not reported up to the client. Thus the client API can have crashed with exceptions without Unity code knowing about it

- Unity and/or mono seems to keep sockets alive after stopping the game under the editor. Starting the game again with the socket open can hard crash the Unity editor. Always try to log out first and then stop the game

The code has been tested in internal beta for a while, but that doesnt mean there are no bugs. But the general usage patterns have been tested.

Please report anything you find here, and I will regularly (here in the beginning daily) check up and work with you to resolve bugs.

Best regards
Thomas
AmazingRuss

Postby AmazingRuss » 25 Aug 2008, 15:42

Another caveat: The events that Smartfox fires in the unity application can cause problems across threads. I solved it by putting the event data in thread-safe queues when they fire, then processing them in Monobehaviour::FixedUpdate().
ptdgames

Postby ptdgames » 02 Sep 2008, 20:37

Am I to understand that with this API I can have a .NET app interact with SmartFoxServer? If so, I'm a very happy camper!
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 03 Sep 2008, 04:26

That is correct - this enables .NET clients to connect to SmartFoxServers.

You can either write e.g. C# programs from Visual C# - or use .NET game engines like Unity to make games that use SFS as backend.

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”