interacting with multiple users

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

MrBodean

interacting with multiple users

Postby MrBodean » 07 Apr 2009, 00:53

Ok guys, maybe someone hear can answer me this?

In one of our scenes, we have a beach ball. We are trying to figure out how we can have it in the scene, so when one user kicks the ball it reacts using physics to bounce, then another user kicks it , etc.

With the way it is now, we are getting too much of a delay with unity and smartfox.

Do you think something like this will be possible to pull off in unity and smartfox, or are we just beating a dead horse?

Any suggestions?

Jeff
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 07 Apr 2009, 06:38

In general - networked physics is the hardest thing you can do. No matter what kind of server solution you have.

If I were you, I would definitely not try to run physics over a network for something as simple as a beach ball to kick around.

I have once been trying to make an online flight sim with physics running on client and server side - and it was hell. We had to scrap the project in alpha after 2 years because we could not get physics running "good enough" - unrelated to SFS and Unity, as this was with Torque.

Much easier (and most likely unnoticable for players too) I would fake it server side with physics approximation, and then let the clients render the ball at a certain position - or run their own physics totally unrelated to each other.

There have been similar discussions on the Unity forums with the same conclusion - dont do physics over net - not even with Unity on the backend instead of product XXX. Try to search over there for more.

/Thomas
MrBodean

Postby MrBodean » 07 Apr 2009, 16:11

Thanks Thomas,
I kinda figured that, but thought I would ask in case we were missing something obvious...

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”