Masterserver and gameservers

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

SMaton

Masterserver and gameservers

Postby SMaton » 19 Apr 2010, 12:50

Hi everyone,

I've been searching through the forums but couldn't find an answer to my problem/question:

I'm currently planning an arena based game with a main lobby as the entrance point for the player. Each arena should hold up to 64 players playing one specific game. The structure itself compares to the masterserver/dedicated server structure of todays Online shooters.

Ideally, I want to run 2-3 instances of a unity implementation of my game (unity headless client acting as a server doing various calculations) per physical server. Those "masterclients" connect to a central SFS holding a list of all those games. The player connects to the SFS and get's the list, selects one game and get's "redirected" to that game.

What would be the best approach to realize this with SFS?

My understanding is that I would have to create one game room per server instance, and internally hand the players into that room. But that would mean that all messages for that game run through the central SFS.

I'ld like to scale up when necessary, adding new servers when needed and they "just show up" on the masterserver, when the "masterclients" connect to the masterserver.

Best regards,
Stefan
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 20 Apr 2010, 05:51

Hey hey

SFS was never meant to be used as master server. They are the actual game servers - so what you are trying _can_ work, but seems a little like overkill using SFS for (if I understood it correct).

That said, you can simply have a single zone set up as "master server" and when some client wants to connect, then use standard Unity networking to connect directly to the game instance.

But if thats what you want to use SFS for, why then not simply use the Unity master server?

/Thomas
alamed

Postby alamed » 26 Apr 2010, 09:19

Interesting question! I found this thread searching for infos on a similar issue.

We are using 4+ Sfs instances, each one handling around 600 player. Going over 800something player in a single server causes a sudden increase in cpu load.

We wanted to do a similar design to the first question, that is, handle the login and lobby in one instance, and then have the games created and played in other instances. That way, we can remove the game complexity from the Main server, so it will handle all the visitors, and then distribute the game servers on different machines, since the users wont notice them.

Question is, is this design possible in smartfox? can one server becomes a client for another smartfox server (in order to share the games lists and users list)?
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 26 Apr 2010, 13:09

Thats also an interesting question, but possibly better asked over in the "regular" parts of the forums. My bet is that not many in here might know the answer.

The original question (and answer) was more related to using Unity based game servers and SFS purely for the master server list.

/Thomas
alamed

Postby alamed » 26 Apr 2010, 13:13

Oh, terrible sorry. Didn't see that this was the Unity forum.
I'll open a new thread.

Thanks.

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”