Are ROOMS on SFSx2 supposed to be used for ZONES in a MMO?

Post here all your questions related with SmartFoxServer .Net/Unity3D API

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

behealed

Are ROOMS on SFSx2 supposed to be used for ZONES in a MMO?

Postby behealed » 16 Jan 2011, 04:27

So could someone please explain to me... for the purpose of making a MMO (mass multiplayer online) game where there is multiple zones... should each "zone" in the game be a separate ROOM on the server? Is that the "best practices" for using SmartFoxServer to create a MMO? The reason I ask is because the documentation seems to suggest that each room should host a separate copy of the game, and that rooms are intended to keep one copy of the game separate from other copies. Which means my whole MMO would be in ONE room. And since there is only going to be one copy of my game ever running (being a MMO), this also means I would gain utterly no benefit from the nice work they put into even having any such thing as "rooms" in smartfoxserver.

I want to know if ROOMs in SFSx2 are intended to be used for "zones" in a MMO. IS that the best practice. It *seems* to me that rooms would serve this purpose, but I just want to make sure.
behealed

Postby behealed » 16 Jan 2011, 05:19

My second question: assuming rooms ARE supposed to be used for zones...

I just want to create behealed.txt and behealed2.txt, and put the passwords "BLAH" into those files. Save those files to my server hard drive. I want to then log in with two clients, and have the server load those files to verify the passwords. Then with the clients I want to go to "room 1" or whatever, which will be the starting zone in the GAME... not the LOBBY! I want to skip any kind of lobby or chat room or anything of that sort, I don't want lobbies!! lol. Then, I want it to keep both clients up-to-speed on the xyz positions of each of my clients.

That's all. Simple. Just load account files, verify password, go to zone/room 1, and start updating xyz's. In Unity. With SmartFoxServer. Sounds easy enough, but I read through the whole documentation until I got to the advanced section, and all I was told anything about is how users can create their own chat rooms and stuff. Which is useless to me. I don't even want people to create any kind of rooms. Yet that, and other chatroom related things like it, is all the documentation seems to talk about.

Can anyone point to to the info I need, something more specific to MMO creation, like what I described above?
appels

Postby appels » 16 Jan 2011, 05:56

since your talking about SFS2 you might wanna post this in the SFS2/unity thread.
You havent read the doc good enough, The zone/room architecture is clearly explained with diagrams.
For your account info you can store them in your extension if you don't have access to a database.
Also check the SFS2/Unity FPS demo from which you could see how the extension handles the zone/rooms.
behealed

Postby behealed » 16 Jan 2011, 06:02

appels wrote:since your talking about SFS2 you might wanna post this in the SFS2/unity thread.
You havent read the doc good enough, The zone/room architecture is clearly explained with diagrams.
For your account info you can store them in your extension if you don't have access to a database.
Also check the SFS2/Unity FPS demo from which you could see how the extension handles the zone/rooms.

I read it and saw the diagrams. The diagrams clearly show how it's great for making a lobby and some chat rooms. Not too clear about whether or not it is best practice to use rooms for zones in a MMO.

I found a card game example for unity but I didn't find a FPS demo yet.
behealed

Postby behealed » 16 Jan 2011, 06:23

I'm going to try to follow the tutorial at: http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/inde ... x_tutorial

If someone knows of a better tutorial, or one more up to date for x2, you can post it here as well I guess.
ThomasLund

Postby ThomasLund » 16 Jan 2011, 07:55

Posting in the SFS2X forums would definitely get you more replies than here in the Unity API part, as you are requesting general feedback on MMO design using SFS

The zone/room hierarchy can be used as you see fit. I dont have a MMO (and I think indies should not do one either), so cant give you advice on that from experience.

But from pure "how does zones/rooms works" and experience as a game designer/architect, I would have the MMO be the zone - and each room is a game location/area.

Most MMOs out there that I've seen run a level layout, where they have bridges or city ports or similar denoting teleport triggers to move a player from room "Castle X" to room "Woods in front of castle X".

So I'd go with something like that.

Putting _everything_ into a single room is suicide

/T

Return to “.Net / Unity3D API”