SmartFoxServer 2X and the RightScale platform

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Bax
Site Admin

SmartFoxServer 2X and the RightScale platform

Postby Bax » 29 Jun 2011, 14:09

If you want to deploy SmartFoxServer 2X "in the cloud" (Amazon EC2 environment for example), you may consider using the RightScale platform. RightScale offers an advanced system for virtual servers management based on what they call server templates.

We created a specific server template which takes care of installing and configuring SFS2X automatically: in a few click you can have a SmartFoxServer instance up and running at no cost (except those of the cloud environment itself) and without having to deal with the installation and configuration tasks described in our documentation.

You can watch an introductory overview on SmartFoxServer 2X in the RightScale platform by accessing this video in our YouTube channel.
Also, detailed informations on the SFS2X server template are available on the following pages:
- Introduction to the SmartFoxServer 2X server template
- Server template detailed information and operations runbook
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
parseroo

Postby parseroo » 02 Jul 2011, 02:45

Hi Paolo,

The ServerTemplate launched fine and 8080 and the admin part is working, but all the examples have 127.0.0.1 in them vs. getting "shaped" to the actual server IP address (or public domain name), so none of them work without touching them.

If you fixed that, it would be a pretty sweet full example. I am quite experienced with RS (3+ years), but I think the template plus the video is good for most people to get enticed and be able to easily run SFS on the cloud.

--Mark
Puggy

Postby Puggy » 02 Jul 2011, 06:32

Can anyone more familiar with these services confirm that with the Amazon Web Services Free Usage Tier, the RightScale Free Edition Plan, and of course SmartFoxServer2x Community Edition, you can easily set up what would essentially be free SFS2x hosting that might be appropriate for basic development/evaluation, for a year?

I mean, the AWS Micro Instance looks pretty weak, but you're not likely to stress it too much with the community edition's max 100 concurrent users anyways.

For reference, I believe the significant stats that you get for free are:
100 concurrent users
~600 MB memory 32/64 bit
1 server instance up 24/7 or you could split these hours between multiple instances
5 GB Storage
Bandwidth: 15 GB Download, 15 GB Upload

Of course, if you do go over any of these limits you would incur charges, but unless you go really crazy, it would still be much cheaper than standard hosting, I think, and you'd have the ability to scale up at the drop of a hat, if needed.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 03 Jul 2011, 13:19

@parseroo, we are aware of the issue with examples. We may add a script in the future to change the IP in the examples configurations, but actually I think it is not so indispensable. I believe most users will go with RS after testing SFS on their local machines.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
mente

Postby mente » 05 Jul 2011, 07:55

Hello Puggy,

We're using AWS micro-instance, with stress testing up to 50 CCU. Everything works fine.

Regards
shaka

Postby shaka » 20 Jul 2011, 21:57

Thanks for the link to rightscale!

I ran into two problems though:

1. Amazon's EC2 t1.microserver doesn't let me start up SFS2X. Can you help me out here mente?

2. I went along at went with the m1.small sever, but I can't connect to the IP.
e.g.
http://123.456.789.111:8080 won't load.

Thanks!
parseroo

Postby parseroo » 21 Jul 2011, 03:36

The first I can't comment on: I have no experience with those size instances.

The second issue is probably a security group issue. I believe only SSH (22) and HTTP (80) are open by default. So you have to open 8080 to talk to the web server and 9933 (tcp + udp if you use it) to talk to SFS2X socket server.
shaka

Postby shaka » 21 Jul 2011, 04:24

parseroo wrote:The first I can't comment on: I have no experience with those size instances.

The second issue is probably a security group issue. I believe only SSH (22) and HTTP (80) are open by default. So you have to open 8080 to talk to the web server and 9933 (tcp + udp if you use it) to talk to SFS2X socket server.

Thanks parseroo, that fixed my problem.

Edit: Parseroo, could you elaborate a little more about the problems that you found? I'm completely new to Amazon EC2/RS (and webhosting in general), so I'm a bit lost.
Andromedus

Postby Andromedus » 19 Dec 2011, 23:55

Sorry for the bump, but has anyone managed to get SFS2x running on an AWS micro server instance using Rightscale? I managed to launch the m1.large thing, but it wouldn't work with anything smaller, throwing an error that kinda looked like Chinese. For someone with no experience of setting up cloud based servers, the whole process seems very tricky - I tried to follow the video tutorial but it seems out of date as the Rightscale dashboard looked very different. So I'm not sure if I'm just doing it wrong, or if what I want to do isn't possible. Any ideas? Thanks! :)
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 20 Dec 2011, 16:09

We asked the RightScale support team, and here is their response:

http://support.rightscale.com/06-FAQs/FAQ_0164_-_When_launching_a_t1.micro_based_server%2c_I_receive_an_%22UnsupportedOperation%22_error

Basically you need to switch the Rightimage being used to an EBS backed image, since t1.micro EC2 instances do not have any local ephemeral storage. Any Rightimage ending in _EBS should do the trick, although they would recommend that you use their latest ( v5.6.28 )

If this is not enough, please contact the RightScale support: support@rightscale.com
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
Andromedus

Postby Andromedus » 21 Dec 2011, 02:15

Thanks for that Bax, I appreciate you contacting their support for me. I have SFS2X working now on at1.micro instance. Although I have to admit, the Rightscale process wasn't as easy as I'd hoped - I ended up installing directly onto EC2 by following the tutorials here and a useful video I found on youtube. :)
shaka

Postby shaka » 25 Dec 2011, 06:30

I successfully put up a SFS2x server ~5 months ago, but today, I tried again and can't replicate it. Whenever I launch the server, the security groups disappear (and thus won't let me launch). I didn't change anything from before, so I'm not sure what's the problem.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 27 Dec 2011, 10:55

shaka wrote:I successfully put up a SFS2x server ~5 months ago, but today, I tried again and can't replicate it. Whenever I launch the server, the security groups disappear (and thus won't let me launch). I didn't change anything from before, so I'm not sure what's the problem.

You should contact the RightScale support.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
kushagra

Re: SmartFoxServer 2X and the RightScale platform

Postby kushagra » 02 Mar 2012, 07:13

How to use the Smart Fox Server 2x Unlimited License on Amazon EC2 with auto scaling feature.?
With amazon auto scaling we are able to create multiple EC2 instances, how can we use the same license on these different machines.
Bax
Site Admin

Re: SmartFoxServer 2X and the RightScale platform

Postby Bax » 02 Mar 2012, 08:47

You can't. A license is valid for a single SFS2X instance. If you need to run multiple instances, you have to buy an equivalent number of licenses.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “SFS2X Questions”