Overhead of 10k MMO rooms vs 10k Game Rooms vs Massive MMO Room

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

meanvel

Overhead of 10k MMO rooms vs 10k Game Rooms vs Massive MMO Room

Postby meanvel » 16 Mar 2017, 00:05

I am adding in a "private area" for each of my MMO users where they can go outside of the main game. Users will be able to let upto ten people visit them at a time. Is there too much overhead to use MMO rooms for this? Should I instead use game rooms? The private areas are small.

There is a alternative... I could simply use one massive MMO room, and each user has their own "private island" generated in it. Each user given a small 20x20 plot of land spaced at 100x100 from the next plot. No MMO items, everything will be loaded straight from DB/Saved to db for private islands.

I'm not sure whether game rooms, or simply small sectors within a massive MMO room is the most optimized. The room will have to be massive. Room would contain no MMO items.
A 10,000x10,000 grid of private plots would do it. That is 100 million plots... Not going to hit that limit. Int value would only be 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 for the farthest plot.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Overhead of 10k MMO rooms vs 10k Game Rooms vs Massive MMO Room

Postby Lapo » 16 Mar 2017, 09:29

meanvel wrote:I am adding in a "private area" for each of my MMO users where they can go outside of the main game. Users will be able to let upto ten people visit them at a time. Is there too much overhead to use MMO rooms for this? Should I instead use game rooms? The private areas are small.

Yes, absolutely. MMORooms are only useful for large crowds, for 10 users user a regular Room.

There is a alternative... I could simply use one massive MMO room, and each user has their own "private island" generated in it. Each user given a small 20x20 plot of land spaced at 100x100 from the next plot. No MMO items, everything will be loaded straight from DB/Saved to db for private islands.

Sounds a bit complicated, as you will have to confine users to specific areas or their AOIs will overlap with others and they will receive events they don't want.

I would definitely go with the simpler idea of just creating small regular Rooms on demand.

cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”