SmartFoxServer for an googlemaps based MMORPG ?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

genar

SmartFoxServer for an googlemaps based MMORPG ?

Postby genar » 13 Jul 2017, 12:06

Hey there !

I began to develop a Little Google maps based mmorpg a few weeks ago. Until now its only "singleplayer" but i want to change that.
As it is depended on Google Maps, Players should see other nearby players on their devices. Futhermore i want to add rocksa and trees as an Environment, which the Player can interact with. Also the Player should be able to build stuff on their own, like a block house or a City. All those objects should be on the same Position on every device for every Player, so i dont want to just spawn those rocks and trees randomly.So all in all its a bit like pokemon go, where all Players can see exactly the same pokoshop on the same Position . The Problem is that there will be alot houses, trees and rocks. Those trees and rocks arent really a Problem, i already got an idea how to manage that stuff, so i dont Need to store them permanent on the Server. But i Need to implement some Kind of quadtree or chunk System for the thousands of houses. And i Need to store all those quadtrees, chunks and houses on the Server. And also all the databases of different items, Players and Monsters. Is that possible with using SmarFoxServers ? Is SmartFoxServers designed for somethink like that ?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: SmartFoxServer for an googlemaps based MMORPG ?

Postby Lapo » 13 Jul 2017, 13:54

Hi,
it's an interesting concept, a bit different from the classic use cases for multiplayer games.

By using MMORooms in SmartFoxServer you can create huge maps were players can roam around and interact together only when they are in proximity of each other.
In other words every player has a certain "area of interest" or "event horizon" that limits the number of network events that they will receive. These Rooms can also filled with other objects (we call them MMOItems) which can be also spawned, moved around or removed via server side code. These items can be interactive or not, based on the game design.

So yes, I think you should be able to start experimenting with your idea.
Here's an intro on MMORooms:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Advanc ... /mmo-rooms
And a few more advanced features:
http://docs2x.smartfoxserver.com/Advanc ... ed-mmo-api

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
genar

Postby genar » 14 Jul 2017, 16:35

Wow thanks for your fast answer ! :D

Alright, than im gonna take definitely a look at SmartFoxServer. Had the choice betwenn SmartFoxServers and PhotonNetwork, but as far as i know, SmartFoxServer is a much better solution :). I also saw that you guys offers a free edition, with all features ot test and try out stuff.
One more question, if i choose SmartFoxServer, i need to host the server by myself right ? Or i also read i could take an server hosting service, but does SmartFoxServer works on all servers ?

Im gonna take a look at it, thanks again :D
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 15 Jul 2017, 07:28

Hi,
yes we don't provide hosting directly but we have partners that do.
Here are a few that offer super easy setup (basically 1-click) in the cloud:
http://smartfoxserver.com/cloud

but does SmartFoxServer works on all servers ?

Yes runs on Windows, Linux and macOS

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”