One room for an mmorpg ?

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

genar

One room for an mmorpg ?

Postby genar » 03 Jan 2018, 19:33

Hey there !

Im currently programming an mmorpg. But i need some concept help. My goal is to achieve that the players can see each other and get the updates from near players. I already created an regristation/login zone with an custom plugin handling the players and an world zone. In the world zone are currently two rooms. One globalchat room. And one world room which uses an aoi. Should i push all the players into the one room to see and interact with each other ?
Or should i create partions instead ? For example dividing the game world into many pieces and everyone gets an own room ?

And futhermore, i cant use pixel positions/ unity positions for the aoi and map limits. Can i use abstract ones too ? For example lat/lng or miles ?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: One room for an mmorpg ?

Postby Lapo » 04 Jan 2018, 08:36

Hi,
I am not sure if your first question regards the MMO Room or the chat Room.
For the chat the problem is that having hundreds of people in the same Room will make the chat very chaotic and difficult to follow as messages will fly by super fast.

Typically it's best to partition the chat Rooms to a sensible size (max 100, for instance). Other ways can be to create chat Rooms for specific "clans" (if they exists in your game) or partitioning them according to some other variable (e.g. region, language, game faction, rank, skill level...)

As for the MMO it really depends on what your virtual world "looks like". While MMO Rooms can be very large (in terms of CCU size) you may want to still partition the world in "areas". Again, these can depend on your specific design. If your world has very distinctive areas you can create Rooms for each of them, etc...

As regards units, yes it doesn't matter what units you use. You're not forced to use pixels. Anything will do.

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
genar

Postby genar » 04 Jan 2018, 11:24

Thanks for your fast answer !

My first question regards the mmo room :)

Ok then i guess i should use multiple rooms for my game mechanics ^^. I could use Mmo Rooms as chunks/Areas then i guess.

One more Question, what happens when a Player moves out of the mmo room bounds ? Will the exitRoom Event fire up ? Or does simply nothing happen ?

Thanks for your help and time ! :)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 04 Jan 2018, 14:47

genar wrote:Thanks for your fast answer !
One more Question, what happens when a Player moves out of the mmo room bounds ? Will the exitRoom Event fire up ? Or does simply nothing happen ?

No, that is something that must be triggered in your game logic.
You could have a trigger in your map such as a "door", an entrance a teleport widget or such... :) When the user triggers it he's transported into the other location/area.
You can make this transition pretty quick and smooth if you find a nice trigger that is in theme with your game/MMO. It could also be an invisible trigger, something that users steps on and activates the change, but I guess it would probably be better to show something on screen that informs the player about what is going to happen.

Makes sense?
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

genar

Postby genar » 04 Jan 2018, 17:15

Great and thanks for your answer !

Now i have one last question left.
Is it possible to have one abstract position system for the mmo room players ( which is gonna be set with send(new SetUserPositionRequest(new Vec3D())); for example ) and one pixel based position system ? What i exactly mean is that the mmo aoi runs with the abstract system ( Lat/lng in my case ) but the players still have a second position in pixel. So they would have two Vector3D positions. Is that possible ? :)
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 05 Jan 2018, 08:32

If you have a translation systems between the two coordinate types I think it's perfectly doable, no?
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

genar

Postby genar » 05 Jan 2018, 08:46

Thanks for your help !

Yep thats right, I also realised that there are user variables which can be used to achieve my goal. Thanks a lot ! :)

Return to “SFS2X Questions”