How to manage room for big virtual world MMORPG

Post here your questions about the Flash / Flex / Air API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

zain

How to manage room for big virtual world MMORPG

Postby zain » 14 Jun 2011, 16:52

i doing my gradual test project by make mmorpg game based on sfs2x and flash as 3.0 desktop game. i confuse how to manage room to make it seamless and only people in certain area that get sync with other people on that area. but they can move from an area to other area without loading nor portal system. can i just make 1 room for everyone? how much a room can handle user to join? but if i make 1 room, it's look like not efficient, because user far from some other user, get message that he doesn't need
anyone can give me a suggestion?
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 15 Jun 2011, 09:31

Using 1 room is not advisable, due to the large traffic you might generate.
You have to separate users in multiple rooms matching separate zones in your virtual world, and look for a way to switch room depending on the movement of the user on the map.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
zain

Postby zain » 16 Jun 2011, 00:59

so we need to separate to many room then?
am i need to build buffer room when switching to another location(due to delay to join another room)?

and how many user a sfs2x's room can handle?

ty for reply
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 16 Jun 2011, 06:42

About the buffer, I don't know. I think you will need to find out which the best approach is.
About the number of users in a Room there's no hardcoded limit, but a large amount of users in the same room could generate quite a lot of traffic. Again this is something that you have to figure out conducting specific tests based on your application specs.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
zain

Postby zain » 22 Jun 2011, 07:28

Thanks for your reply, that really help me
One last question about room: when player1 and player2 join in 2 same room A and B, if player1 set uservariable, is sfs2x send 2 update or just 1 update to player2? Sory if I ask question to much >_<
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 23 Jun 2011, 11:10

Mmm.. actually I don't know.. I never tested this use case myself. Maybe you can try and report?
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
zain

Re: How to manage room for big virtual world MMORPG

Postby zain » 25 Apr 2012, 05:32

Thanks for your reply, that really help me
One last question about room: when player1 and player2 join in 2 same room A and B, if player1 set uservariable, is sfs2x send 2 update or just 1 update to player2? Sory if I ask question to much >_<

for this my last question, i found we only get 1 update :)
(maybe this can help someone)

But, still confuse how to seamlessly move from one room to another room without wall
rjgtav

Re: How to manage room for big virtual world MMORPG

Postby rjgtav » 25 Apr 2012, 21:04

Well, you simply need to do smartfox.send(new JoinRoomRequest("roomName")). Now you just need to call that method when you really want to switch to another room.
Skills: SFS Pro, SFS2X, AS2.0/AS3.0, Java, HTML5/CSS3/JS, C#
Portfolio: https://rjgtav.wordpress.com/
SFS Tutorials: http://sfs-tutor.blogspot.com/ - Discontinued. Some examples may be bugged.

Return to “SFS2X ActionScript 3 API”