Load Test tool

Post here your suggestions for new possible features in SmartFoxServer.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

mhdside

Load Test tool

Postby mhdside » 08 Jun 2008, 13:39

Hello,
Is it possible to have a load test tool that simulates people connected to the server.

the perfect tool would allow you to choose the number of connected users, and consume the server resources as if there are real people connected.

Alternatively, it can detect the system configuration and the smart fox communication methods used in the app, and estimates the maximum safe user count the server can support for the app. to run smoothly.

Of course there are several challenges for this (like whether the connected users are in the lobby or are playing a game/doing something else / the frequency of the interaction with the server) but all those can be parameterized.

Is it possible to have such a tool?
Mahmoud Badri
Senior actionscript developer
http://www.el3ab.com
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 05 Jul 2008, 16:12

The perfect load test tool is a dream for us too. We've built several during the course of the years which we're fairly happy with, but none of them is the dream tool ...
The biggest challenge is that the tool has to behave exactly like a real user, performing actions in the proper order, responding to events etc... all this based on what your application does.

We have found that one of the best techniques for load testing is using the client side API, build a test client and then build an application on top of it that replicates the clients, manages connections/disconnections, stats etc...

At the moment you can build that using the AS 2 or AS 3 (better use AS3 actually) API or... we can also provide client Java API and soon we'll provide more, but it's still a small secret.

Then you can setup a number of client machines to run as many clients as their CPU and memory can handle

I guess you get the idea :)
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
thup

Postby thup » 18 Jul 2008, 13:46

we can also provide client Java API and soon we'll provide more, but it's still a small secret.

Ooh, any word on this? I'm looking at doing a smartfox load test in a few weeks and would love to be able to create a java client for testing purposes.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 18 Jul 2008, 13:56

The official release is expected later this summer.
You can anyways drop us an email directly and we'll send the Java API.

Thank you
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

ffratoni

Postby ffratoni » 19 Jun 2009, 07:21

Hello,
we are planning to create a load testing for our smarfox based game and we were wondering if java API are available to have a first feeling of how our application work.
Thanks
Filippo
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 19 Jun 2009, 09:28

Hi,
Java API are available for download in our "API Central":
http://www.smartfoxserver.com/labs/API/
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

ffratoni

Postby ffratoni » 19 Jun 2009, 12:58

thanks a lot
tichfuie

Re: Load Test tool

Postby tichfuie » 30 Oct 2013, 00:03

Lapo,

i know this is a 5 year old thread, but was wondering if you guys still have a load testing tool i can use for SFS,
i mean nothing fancy just something that i can simulate client connections to stress test the server.

looking forward to it.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 30 Oct 2013, 09:52

Yes, this is indeed a pretty old thread :shock:
The best idea for stress testing is to build the test with the client API (Java, AS3) and then replicate that client with a little application that launches hundreds of them until you almost saturate the client's resources.
Just make sure to not fully saturate the CPU of the client machine otherwise it might not be able to cope with the downstream of data.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

tichfuie

Postby tichfuie » 31 Oct 2013, 03:29

do you guys have some app already put together that will do the stress test?
i mean something i can base out of?

or am i on my own here?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 31 Oct 2013, 08:36

We do have internal tools but nothing you would be able to use without lots of consulting from our side.

More importantly each test can be completely difference depending on the type of the interaction that the client must generate. This part is entirely up to the developer. The remaining part (the replication) is really no big deal, it can be done in less than 1 hour with a bit of coding.

Hope this makes sense.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

tichfuie

Postby tichfuie » 01 Nov 2013, 15:59

not really,

was hoping of some already made simple example you guys may had, so I can learn and base my own out of that.

since I've never done such a thing, so was expecting some light in my darkroom :-(

Return to “Features Wish List”