SmartFox + Phaser CE and Pixi.js

Post here your questions about the HTML5 / JavaScript for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

meanvel

SmartFox + Phaser CE and Pixi.js

Postby meanvel » 25 Apr 2017, 07:59

With the popularity of some HTML5 games, and mature game engines starting to appear... I think it would be a good idea to have some game samples using the most popular HTML5 WebGL game engines.

Flash games are still going to do fine, considering that the 2018 roadmap of Chromium only makes Flash "Click to Play", and Flash is not going anywhere anytime soon... However, because of the additional viral of "instant play" games as you open a page, vs "click to play"... I may diversify into HTML5 later this year.

It's just my opinion that it would help you guys out if you put a little more energy into HTML5 integration. WebAssembly accelerated HTML5 game engines will be here within a couple years.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: SmartFox + Phaser CE and Pixi.js

Postby Lapo » 26 Apr 2017, 08:01

meanvel wrote:With the popularity of some HTML5 games, and mature game engines starting to appear... I think it would be a good idea to have some game samples using the most popular HTML5 WebGL game engines.

Good point. They're coming. Very soon :)
In fact today we release SFS2X 2.13 which brings back Javascript on the server side and adds new Javascript API with full binary/compression support.

New examples are being release today too.

WebAssembly accelerated HTML5 game engines will be here within a couple years.

Yeah, that's a very needed update for both games and the HTML platform in general. Too bad we're stuck with a language that was built without too much thought and it's now rearing its ugly head :( Maybe with wasm we'll be able to finally use different languages that translate to a common "bytecode".

cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
meanvel

Postby meanvel » 26 Apr 2017, 22:59

Lapo wrote:
WebAssembly accelerated HTML5 game engines will be here within a couple years.

Yeah, that's a very needed update for both games and the HTML platform in general. Too bad we're stuck with a language that was built without too much thought and it's now rearing its ugly head :( Maybe with wasm we'll be able to finally use different languages that translate to a common "bytecode".

cheers

Yea, I'm kinda mystified why HTML5 games still play so slowly. I mean, Javascript and AS3 are "mostly" based upon the same standard, but only AS3 follows it strictly. There is no reason why browsers VM's which interpret Javascript should be so much slower in the real world than Flash VM's processing AS3, but they are still a bit behind...

Both Flash Stage3D and WebGL use OpenGL ES... HTML5 in "theory" should be able to eventually perform as good as Flash.
meanvel

Postby meanvel » 01 May 2017, 11:28

Ok, so... It turns out that Pixi.JS by itself is amazingly high performance. It's on par with Flash for simple games. However, Phaser is horrible.

I am converting a game from Flash to Pixi + smartFox. How much longer until the new API arrives? How goes the progress on 2.13?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 01 May 2017, 13:32

Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X HTML5 / JavaScript API”