C++ API works with unreal engine 3

Post here your questions about the C++ API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax, MBagnati

seeingrain

C++ API works with unreal engine 3

Postby seeingrain » 24 Jun 2014, 08:38

I have struggled several weeks to make C++ API DLL to work with unreal engine 3 source code.

Here are my modification to C++ API:
1. because UE3 uses customized new/delete operator, so transfer parameter using std::string causes crash. So, I changed all std::string parameter to ByReference or char *
2. because UE3 defines struct alignment to 4 bytes, so I have to modify client API also to be 4-byte alignment

Hope in later version, question 1 can be solved. question 2 really depends on different app settings, so it's not an issue.
Bax
Site Admin

Re: C++ API works with unreal engine 3

Postby Bax » 24 Jun 2014, 08:46

Making the post sticky for other developers interested in using SmartFoxServer 2X with the Unreal Engine.
Regarding issue #1, changing the interface now would break the compatibility of the API and force developers to update and re-test their code. Currently we are not willing to do it, unless more developers will be using SFS2X+Unreal.
Anyway thank you for reporting your findings.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
braza

Postby braza » 21 Mar 2015, 19:08

I've started another topic in a wrong place... But let me say that in the right place too. UE4 is now going to become more popular since their new "free" model. They have some integrated server cabilities but lack the SFS2X's abilities to run small instances on demand.
Take this requiest with a grain of salt, ofc.
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 22 Mar 2015, 10:21

We already started investigating how our C++ API behave in Unreal Engine 4. We should be able to provide a feedback soon.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “SFS2X C++ API”