planning for red5 chat app requirements

Post your questions and bug-reports about the audio/video streaming add-on based on Red5 Media Server.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

giorgio79

planning for red5 chat app requirements

Postby giorgio79 » 23 Feb 2009, 11:36

Hello,

We are planning a redbox chat app (one performer many viewers, via Redbox cast manager), and was just wondering if there are any guidelines on the server and bandwidth requirements, eg

how to calculate required bandwidth / servers per number of users?
do we need terracotta for scaling only with red5 or is there a simpler solution?
how to limit the kb per second for Red5 to 100 kbps?
Can I see red5 load from smartfox admin panel?

I understand the standalone smartfox can handle 40-60 thousand concurrent connections on a single powerful machine, but when we add red5 into the mix, it becomes somewhat less clear on how to plan the requirements.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 26 Feb 2009, 06:07

how to calculate required bandwidth / servers per number of users?

You should look into the Adobe technical documentation as these informations are out of the scope of SmartFoxServer and they depend on the Flash Player codec.
do we need terracotta for scaling only with red5 or is there a simpler solution?

No, you don't
how to limit the kb per second for Red5 to 100 kbps?

I don't think you will be able to stream much data with that low bandwidth, and I am not sure you can put a limit on Red5.
If that option exists, I am now aware of it, but you can search a little more in the Red5 documentation.

Can I see red5 load from smartfox admin panel?

No they are not integrated.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “RedBox”