OpenSpace 2 performance

Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 2.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

HilarioGo

OpenSpace 2 performance

Postby HilarioGo » 19 Sep 2012, 15:05

We are currently working on a large and densely populated map and put together a dummy map to stress test OpenSpace and the performance drops significantly when the map gets to a certain size. I test a map that was just one tile over and over and the frame rate was fine for a 10x10 map but at 20x20 it had dropped a lot of frames. What is the ideal way to set up a large map ( 100x100 ) that make use of a few tiles ( about 10 or so ) that repeat over and over? I also have a second problem, I made a script that populated all empty tiles in an .osp drawing randomly from a list of tiles and when I used it on a 100x100 map the editor just never opened my file, is there some sort of timeout that happens if there is too much to build?
Bax
Site Admin

Re: OpenSpace 2 performance

Postby Bax » 19 Sep 2012, 21:22

For your first question, are you able to provide the map and the swf containing the skins? I really would like to see it, because we tested OpenSpace with large maps and we never experienced problems. The tiles outside the viewport are kept in memory only (not in the display list) so they do not interfere with the rendering (unless you use very small tiles and you have them all visible in the viewport).
Maybe the problem are the tiles themselves. Are they vector-based? If yes, did you set the cache property to true when editing the skin in the Editor?
About the second question, there are no timeouts. I suspect you entered some invalid data that causes an error in the Editor.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
HilarioGo

Postby HilarioGo » 20 Sep 2012, 15:52

I did various tests and discovered that the problem was not the size of the map or how densely it was filled but it was that with a combination of having the the camera center on the avatar ( scrolls limits being half the screen and having continuous scroll enabled ) so that is where the choppy movement was coming from. There is a second problem that I also noticed when the map became large enough which is that the tiles start to have have graphical errors so I'm not sure if there is something more strict I have to do when creating the asset swf for the map, I've included my map so that you can see the graphical errors that I'm talking about.

As for my problem with the large map that my script modified not working I created a filled 100x100 map in the editor and was able to re-open it so I think you are correct and it is an error in the way I'm generating it.
Attachments
ruler_tile_map.zip
Test map and .swf
(55.54 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
Bax
Site Admin

Postby Bax » 21 Sep 2012, 08:39

If you enable the continuous scrolling the performance can be affected as described in the documentation (read the <EnableContinuousScrolling> description on this page: http://openspace-engine.com/support/man ... ientConfig)

About the graphical issues you mentioned, can you please show a screenshot? Then, if the problem is not immediately pinpointed, we will test the files you sent. Thank you.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team
HilarioGo

Postby HilarioGo » 21 Sep 2012, 17:25

Thanks for the responses they helped with finding solutions to my problems and better understanding things, as for the alpha I figured out that the asset SWF's that I was generating had an invalid shape, so that was the problem with the alpha going crazy.

Return to “OpenSpace v2 discussions and help”