How to make the Avatar move smoothly?

Post here your questions about the OpenSpace 2.x or notify bugs and suggestions.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

christina

How to make the Avatar move smoothly?

Postby christina » 10 Dec 2012, 03:55

Hi,

I have a map which has 100*100 tiles with empty background. I found that the rendering duration is almost 30ms when map shifted. But for the map with 80*80 tiles, the rendering duration is 17ms. For the map with 70*70 tiles, the rendering duration is 12ms/9ms.
Considering the data, dose it mean that the open space is not good at the big map?

In fact, there are some big maps with 100*100 tiles in our game. When the avatar moves to the sensor area, the map is shifted, and then the avatar can not move smoothly. It looks like blocked. (I have set the "EnableContinuousScrolling=1"). How to deal with this?

Thanks very much for your response.

Christina
Bax
Site Admin

Re: How to make the Avatar move smoothly?

Postby Bax » 10 Dec 2012, 13:19

From the CPU consumption point of view, OpenSpace is very good because it only draws the visible maps on the stage. Each time the map must be scrolled, the new tiles that will become visible are drawn and then the scrolling is performed.
The delay before the map is shifted depends on the number of tiles that must be added to the stage before the scrolling starts. Of course this depends on the scrolling amount and viewport size.

It is not clear what "the avatar can not move smoothly. It looks like blocked" means. Can you show a video or give us access to the application?
Enabling the continuos scrolling is not recommended because it can affect the performance of the Flash Player negatively.
Paolo Bax
The SmartFoxServer Team

Return to “OpenSpace v2 discussions and help”