Deploy a server on multiple servers in differenct regions

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Pirisok

Deploy a server on multiple servers in differenct regions

Postby Pirisok » 22 Jan 2022, 08:55

Hi.
We created a game and want to deploy it on multiple regions.
The game is real-time so we should have different servers in different regions so players can experience the game without lags.
I just have some questions:
- Is there any best practice or feature in SFS2X for us?
- Do we need separate licenses for different servers/ips?
- Can we have a central database for our different SFS instances?
Thanks alot.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Deploy a server on multiple servers in differenct regions

Postby Lapo » 24 Jan 2022, 13:24

Hi,
- Is there any best practice or feature in SFS2X for us?

Not really. Especially for deployment many details depend on the specific characteristics of the game.
Typically you will need the main website to geolocate players and send them to the server closer to their location.

- Do we need separate licenses for different servers/ips?

Yes

- Can we have a central database for our different SFS instances?

Yes you can.
The problem with a central DB is that it may perform differently depending on the proximity of the server accessing it. It all depends on how frequent/heavy is the use of database calls and what technologies you have planned to mitigate the potential latency.
For instance, AWS provides regional read replicas which allow to have read-only copies of your central database very close to your game servers, thus speeding up read operations which are usually most frequent.

I believe Google does the same in their cloud and I imagine there are other similar products available, though I am not an expert in this particular field.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”