Mobile Data / 5G Players sometimes cannot connect

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

andrew2110

Mobile Data / 5G Players sometimes cannot connect

Postby andrew2110 » 06 Jul 2021, 06:11

Hello! Running a SmartFox Server at 50.28.78.123 (standard ports in use), and am often getting reports of users on mobile data unable to connect (though I can connect just fine on my devices via mobile data). The user reported yesterday they can't connect with 5G enabled but can connect just fine over Wifi. Bluebox seems to be working ok on the server (In that I have observed bluebox users in the server before). Is there any check list I can go through to debug this as it appears awfully hard to debug!
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Data / 5G Players sometimes cannot connect

Postby Lapo » 06 Jul 2021, 07:52

Hi,
yes these things can be hard to debug because you're dealing with specific networking issues of one user.
Generally speaking, if they can't reach the server 95% of the times it's their problem not yours, unless you're hosting SmartFoxServer on a crappy PC in your basement connected to a modem connection :D

Assuming you're running the server in an hosting environment with plenty of bandwidth the connection issues could be due to the distance between the player and the server (are they in the same country?) or specific limitations from their internet providers.
You could also try something simple like deploying a custom web page in the SmartFoxServer web root (SFS2X/www/ROOT/) and then send a link to players with connection issues, asking if they can reach it via a mobile browser.

Or you can also just point them to the default welcome page, at http://<your-ip-addr>:8080/

If this also fails it's probably an issue with their provider blocking some ports or even IP addresses, for some reason.

Let us know
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
andrew2110

Postby andrew2110 » 06 Jul 2021, 08:27

Thank you, thats what I've been telling them that its a specific issue with their mobile networks blocking connections to our server for some reason, I'll try to build in an automatic pinging 50.28.78.123:8080 and warning the users that their mobile network is blocking us for some reason. Thanks for confirming this for me and as always great job with everything.
sitz

Postby sitz » 17 Aug 2021, 16:38

In practice we have had problems with T-Mobile/Sprint users connecting to a SFS2X instance hosted in eApps Atlanta data center. It's been a persistent issue across three cloud providers. We (my friends & I) don't have a resolution for it, it's something that happened with their routing since the merger.
sitz

Postby sitz » 01 Sep 2021, 17:14

This issue for most of my users was resolved when I migrated the instance from Altanta to Virginia data centers. All of the users are located in the Midwest & NE US.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 02 Sep 2021, 07:32

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”