Java11 and SFS2X 2.13

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

tobaonghiep

Java11 and SFS2X 2.13

Postby tobaonghiep » 16 Aug 2022, 07:57

Hi,

Currently I'm using SFS2X 2.13 with Java8. I would like to upgrade SFS to 2.18, however it is require Java11. My plan is upgrade the current Java8 to Java11 run with SFS2X 2.13 after that I will move forward to SFS 2.18.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there any thing I need to pay attention or any special extra migration steps I need to take when update to Java11 with SFS 2.13. For example I could be aware is the G1GC I'm using now, there is any differrent or I just follow the setting from JVM will do.

2. From SFS 2.13 to SFS 2.18 you have changed the lib from netty to apache tomcat, may I know is there any differrent in between them about the resources taken and config setting that I need to do also. I asking this because previously when you just released SFS 2.14 about years ago. I have tested the new SFS version on testing enviroment. However when I bring it to live, it got crash on runtime. So I have to revert back to 2.13. I still wondering what is in apache tomcat causing this issue as in live we have about over 7K users. Do you got any report about this case, could share with me please.
Sean Su
Mecury Studio
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Java11 and SFS2X 2.13

Postby Lapo » 16 Aug 2022, 14:13

Hi,
just to be clear, SFS2X 2.18 already comes with a JRE 11 embedded, so you don't have to do anything special.
Surely I would recommend to first install the server on a test machine and deploy your Extensions to check that everything is in order, which it should be unless you're doing something "exotic" on the server side. :)

The only thing I am not sure to follow is why you want to upgrade the 2.13 to Java 11?

As regards your questions:
1. Is there any thing I need to pay attention or any special extra migration steps I need to take when update to Java11 with SFS 2.13. For example I could be aware is the G1GC I'm using now, there is any different or I just follow the setting from JVM will do.

The G1GC is the default in Java 11 without any extra settings.
Also, there aren't any specific things I can recommend to check off the top of my head. If you want you can look up a generic Java 11 migration guide, to see what possible changes might impact your code.
However, for the vast majority of use cases it should be a smooth sail. I don't think we found any issues when we migrated the SFS2X codebase to Java 11.

2. From SFS 2.13 to SFS 2.18 you have changed the lib from netty to apache tomcat, may I know is there any differrent in between them about the resources taken and config setting that I need to do also.

We switched from Jetty to Tomcat in 2.14. as Tomcat uses resources more efficiently and it's definitely more reliable. There's a details article about this change on our blog:
https://smartfoxserver.com/blog/sfs2x-2 ... -services/

I have tested the new SFS version on testing enviroment. However when I bring it to live, it got crash on runtime. So I have to revert back to 2.13. I still wondering what is in apache tomcat causing this issue as in live we have about over 7K users. Do you got any report about this case, could share with me please.

No we have no reports of issues like this even with very high traffic (in the tens of thousands).
If you experience something similar again let us know the details.

Best regards.
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X Questions”