All the Noob questions

Post here your questions about SFS2X. Here we discuss all server-side matters. For client API questions see the dedicated forums.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

DBHook

All the Noob questions

Postby DBHook » 24 Oct 2022, 10:13

Hey! :D

I'm new and probably posting wrong, sorry!
Aiming to make my mobile game multiplayer and want to use SFS to help me do so, but I have some questions..

I'm using Unity for the client side, but don't want anyone cheating so really want to use a dedicated server. SmartFoxServer is just the SDK though right? If I want my game online I have to pay for the Overcast cloud service on top of the normal cost if I ever get past 100 CCU?

It's a single player RPG - not MMO - so no need to see what other players are doing, just want to have the logic on the server side to keep the players honest. I want to have a leaderboard of all the players and the ability to battle the players slightly above you in the rankings.

The battles are pretty much turn-based so won't be too much network traffic I'm hoping! Tell me it's possible? :lol:
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: All the Noob questions

Postby Lapo » 24 Oct 2022, 13:55

Hello,
I'm new and probably posting wrong, sorry!

No problem :)

I'm using Unity for the client side, but don't want anyone cheating so really want to use a dedicated server. SmartFoxServer is just the SDK though right? If I want my game online I have to pay for the Overcast cloud service on top of the normal cost if I ever get past 100 CCU?

Yes SmartFoxServer comprises the Server and relative client API but no hosting, out of the box.
Overcast on the other hand is a full package that offers SmartFoxServer 2X in the cloud, so you don't need to pay anything else. In other words you either need SmartFoxServer 2X or Overcast but not both.

If you decide to buy SFS2X alone you can host it on your own server(s)/cloud.

It's a single player RPG - not MMO - so no need to see what other players are doing, just want to have the logic on the server side to keep the players honest. I want to have a leaderboard of all the players and the ability to battle the players slightly above you in the rankings.

How does this work exactly? There's no player interaction, but every player's action is evaluated by the server to produce a final score for each "run"?

The battles are pretty much turn-based so won't be too much network traffic I'm hoping! Tell me it's possible?

Sure, sounds very feasible and given the small amount of interaction you will likely have low traffic even with a high number of players.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
DBHook

Postby DBHook » 25 Oct 2022, 11:51

Thanks for the reply Lapo!
I've been doing a bit more searching here and you seem to be the go-to wizard on this forum!

Based on your reply and other readings, it sounds like Overcast might be the best option for me :) In these early stages of development I'm trying to get an idea of what my initial expenses are like.

How does this work exactly? There's no player interaction, but every player's action is evaluated by the server to produce a final score for each "run"?

Players are levelling their character through the single RPG mode (and other modes in the future). There is a central arena that a player can go to and challenge other players above them on the leaderboard.

For this type of game I'm assuming the data storage for player stats, items etc will be my biggest server tax.
So I'll have a dedicated smartFoxServer, a mySQL DB on it's own server... do I need a web service too? And do each of these have their own billing plan?

I'll continue my reading of all the docs and stop asking basic questions soon! Just gotta make sure food stays on the table while I'm developing :lol:
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 25 Oct 2022, 18:51

For this type of game I'm assuming the data storage for player stats, items etc will be my biggest server tax.
So I'll have a dedicated smartFoxServer, a mySQL DB on it's own server... do I need a web service too? And do each of these have their own billing plan?

As regards web services, SFS2X embeds Tomcat which is a powerful webserver (java based, of course). If you need something else (e.g. a php based server) you'll need an external service. Maybe you could still use AWS so that everything is on the same platform and region.

No problem with the basic questions. If there's anything else let us know.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

DBHook

Postby DBHook » 25 Oct 2022, 21:45

If you need something else (e.g. a php based server) you'll need an external service. Maybe you could still use AWS so that everything is on the same platform and region.

So to have a MySQL database I’ll need a separate, external server then that’s not within overcast, and php to communicate with it?

And pay two lots of bills correct?
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 26 Oct 2022, 07:43

No,
Overcast offers SFS2X servers and MySQL servers. So you can have both running side by side and use MySQL for all your game persistent data.
SFS2X however is Java based, if you need PHP then it's another story. My recommendation would be to host your own Apache/MySQL server in AWS using the same region of your SFS2X server in Overcast (e.g. us-east-1). This way they could communicate with low latency.

On the other hand, if you want to keep everything in Overcast you can use Tomcat (embedded in SFS2X) and Java servlets/JSP, instead of PHP.

Hope it helps
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Return to “SFS2X Questions”