Another Haxe question

Post here your questions about the Flash / Flex / Air API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

moccha

Another Haxe question

Postby moccha » 09 Aug 2015, 19:11

With the rise in popularity of Haxe and the slow decline of Flash, is there a possibility in the future that we might get a port of the AS3 source to Haxe?

I've worked extremely hard to port my AS3 code to HaxeFlixel (http://haxeflixel.com/). I can compile to swf using the SWC api provided on your site, but I was extremely saddened to find that I couldn't compile to native CPP targets, which is what I wanted to do in the first place. For me to be able to compile I'd need to again port all of the smartfox classes from as to their .hx equivalents. I've noticed other users on the forum talking about porting the classes themselves but surprisingly no one has shared their ports with anyone.

I think that MANY people would benefit from an open port of the SWC -> Haxe language, and I would definitely take the plunge and purchase SFS is that API exists. The port would be pretty darn fast to make for maybe 1 or two experienced people, but I struggled as is with my last port. Please let me know if you have any solutions or thoughts. I looked into trying to use the CPP api but including that with Haxe seems to be another mountain.

Thanks for all of your time, staff.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Another Haxe question

Postby Lapo » 10 Aug 2015, 08:57

Thanks for your feedback.
We haven't investigated Haxe very deeply but it's an interesting language and it seems to have evolved nicely over the course of several years.

We don't have imminent plans for an Haxe API but it would be interesting to have one. It could take some time to learn the details of the platform and see what it is available in terms of libraries to support all the requirements of the SFS2X API.

I also wonder what is the state of the tools for working with Haxe... IDEs, debugging, documentation generation etc... last time I checked there was some basic support although not a great choice of IDEs.

cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
moccha

Postby moccha » 10 Aug 2015, 20:01

I've been using Sublime Text for IDE.

How long will you support the SWC build for (as3 client api)? I've been using AIR and I'm afraid that you'll drop support for it soon. I don't want to be stuck. :(
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 10 Aug 2015, 20:10

Not to worry, there is no intention to drop it :)
Actually all changes and new features are first tested and finalized in AS3 and then moved to the other platforms.

cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X ActionScript 3 API”