Private message sent - Confirmation not received

Post here your questions about the Flash / Flex / Air API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

alexcy32

Private message sent - Confirmation not received

Postby alexcy32 » 26 Aug 2015, 10:02

I am using AS3 API 1.6 in Flash project.

I have a few scenarios which I believe they happen in random when I am senind 1 or 2 private messages to another user in the same room as me and the following happens:
1) Message A gets deliveved to User B, but user A does not receive confirmation that it was delivered (ie User A does not receive a message from User A)
2) Message B does not get delivered to User B, but user A does receive confirmation that it was delivered..

Very strange indeed.. And it does not happen all the time so I cannot replicate it.. I tried searching the forums for similar problems but no luck. I am using SFS 2.10 and at any given time there are 3 users max connected since we are still in the developing phase..

Thank you
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Private message sent - Confirmation not received

Postby Lapo » 26 Aug 2015, 10:43

Hi,
there can be all sorts of reasons for a message not being delivered:
a generic server error,
a network problem,
the user's queue is full and the message is discarded (unlikely if you're testing locally)

I would recommend checking a couple of things:
1) WARN level messages in your log files
2) The number of dropped messages (if any) in the AdminTool > Dashboard

thanks
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
alexcy32

Postby alexcy32 » 26 Aug 2015, 11:54

Thank you for the prompt reply. No WARN msgs in the log and no dropped packets in the Dashboard.

A few more information to help. This problem happens more often during the following:

- User A acts as main hub and user B and C talk only to A.
- Every 10 seconds user B sends 2 messages to User A as well as User C.
- These messages make User A to go and retrieve records from an MSSQL database
- User A replies to B and C with his findings

So here is my question. Is it possible that during those DB queries the Flash object freezes up and does not accept the incoming messages? I mean SFS would retry to send the message if the flash object is busy talking to the MSSQL?

I noticed when there is only 1 user this rarely happens but when there are two users and therefore more traffic to User A this always happens.

ALSO: How is it possible that User A receives the message from User B but user B does not receive the confirmation? I know User A received message since after a few seconds I see User A replying to User B?

Thank you.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 27 Aug 2015, 09:55

alexcy32 wrote:Thank you for the prompt reply. No WARN msgs in the log and no dropped packets in the Dashboard.

A few more information to help. This problem happens more often during the following:

- User A acts as main hub and user B and C talk only to A.
- Every 10 seconds user B sends 2 messages to User A as well as User C.
- These messages make User A to go and retrieve records from an MSSQL database
- User A replies to B and C with his findings

So here is my question. Is it possible that during those DB queries the Flash object freezes up and does not accept the incoming messages? I mean SFS would retry to send the message if the flash object is busy talking to the MSSQL?

Isn't SmartFoxServer talking to the database? Or am I not understanding this right? Do you have a way to query the DB directly from client side?

I noticed when there is only 1 user this rarely happens but when there are two users and therefore more traffic to User A this always happens.

It cannot happen at all with 1 user because you have nobody to send a message to :)

ALSO: How is it possible that User A receives the message from User B but user B does not receive the confirmation? I know User A received message since after a few seconds I see User A replying to User B?

When User A sends a private message to User B this is what happens:

1- User A's message goes to the server
2- The server takes the message and sends a copy to B and one to A.

So, technically, if B receives the message it means that both message were sent out.
I would probably check the client side debug (in the Flash editor) to see if the message physically gets to the client, which I would expect.

Honestly it sounds like there's something else going on, but I don't think I have enough information to infer what is going on.
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

...addicted to flash games

Return to “SFS2X ActionScript 3 API”