Apple's App Transport Security requirements

Post here your questions about the Unity / .Net / Mono / Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 API for SFS2X

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

Bathory

Apple's App Transport Security requirements

Postby Bathory » 23 Apr 2023, 22:48

Hello everyone,

What's the situation nowadays for deploying from Unity to Apple Store in regards to their ATS (App Transport Security) requirements?

From what I understand the short definition of ATS is: if your app connects to a server you have control over, you MUST use HTTPS. In other words we should all be using InitCrypto and certificates even if very little sensitive data is transmitted and the ones that are are encrypted from the client before transit, right?

I suspect their review process to be a lot heavier now than a few years back, with data safety forms to fill that could grab their attention towards our practices. :wink:
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: Apple's App Transport Security requirements

Postby Lapo » 24 Apr 2023, 10:17

Hi,
if you deploy an SSL certificate and activate encryption in your zone all data will be TLS encrypted (TCP, UDP, Websocket etc...)
From client side you just need to add one extra step, which you mentioned, calling SmartFox.InitCrypto() right after the connection.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
Bathory

Postby Bathory » 24 Apr 2023, 11:05

Thanks,

Is there anything in particular we have to look out for when buying an SSL certificate considering the server's main use is Smartfox? E.g. do we have to worry about response time (at login, then after) or the number of connections we can get over a certain period? (I get about 15,000 during a day).

I was thinking of grabbing PositiveSSL from namecheap since it bears its name well but it says "great for personal". I have a single domain/server.

Thank you again
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 25 Apr 2023, 17:48

There is nothing special about the SSL certificate.
The only differences among certificates is the level of validation that is performed (domain or organization and Extended validation). These however do not impact performance metrics. They only offer different levels of trust to the final user.

You can read more on this here:
https://www.globalsign.com/en/ssl-infor ... ertificate

For most use cases, included the one you have mentioned any certificate will do. The high end ones are also very expensive and typically used only by large corporations.

E.g. do we have to worry about response time (at login, then after)

No, not at all.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Bathory

Postby Bathory » 30 Apr 2023, 14:10

Hello Lapo,

I installed PositiveSSL and everything went very well with the explanations from your docs. (Maybe you could add that a server reboot is necessary even at the end of the non-manual method, but that's kind of obvious)

My idea was to do a smooth transition with the client apps as such:
- players using the current/old version would keep connecting to Zone X non encrypted, and get in-game messages encouraging them to upgrade their app from Play/Apple Store
- players using the newest version would connect to the same Zone with encryption on

and everyone would see each other.

I thought this was doable because the "Use encryption" flag in Zone configuration says

"If turned on, the server will only accept encrypted connections for this Zone; otherwise either encrypted and non-encrypted connections are allowed"

So I let that flag to OFF, but if I try to connect from the Unity Editor using parameters HttpsPort=443, TcpPort = 9933:
- It connects
- OnInitCrypto is called
- I get "[SFS - ERROR] [TCPSocketLayer] Connection closed by the remote side" and the server log shows "com.smartfoxserver.v2.exceptions.SFSRuntimeException: Login rejected. The requested Zone does not support encryption"

SFS2X version 2.15.0 running on Amazon Linux 2.

So basically I might have to setup a new Zone with encryption ON, the new client apps will connect to that zone and the player base will move to it progressively? It would be a bit bad, but not nearly as bad as setting up a new server entirely. :)
Bathory

Postby Bathory » 30 Apr 2023, 15:22

Bathory wrote:So basically I might have to setup a new Zone with encryption ON, the new client apps will connect to that zone and the player base will move to it progressively? It would be a bit bad, but not nearly as bad as setting up a new server entirely. :)

It seems I'll have to do that, as explained in a few old topics like this one:
https://www.smartfoxserver.com/forums/v ... hp?t=19201

Thanks
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 02 May 2023, 10:34

@Bathory
It's not possibile to mix encrypted and non-encrypted connections in the same Zone. The main reason is that data from non-encrypted clients could potentially expose that of encryped clients when the server broadcasts updates (e.g. messages, postional data, User/Room variables etc..)

To migrate users you will need to use two Zones, one with encryption turned ON and the other set to OFF.

Cheers
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

Bathory

Postby Bathory » 02 May 2023, 17:34

No issue, I now understand the reasons for this.

Thanks for the support, love SmartFox, I've been using it for years and would recommend it to anyone.
Lapo
Site Admin

Postby Lapo » 03 May 2023, 09:27

Cheers :)
Lapo

--

gotoAndPlay()

henryjames

Postby henryjames » 13 May 2023, 05:42

if you deploy an SSL certificate and activate encryption in your zone all data will be TLS encrypted (TCP, UDP, Websocket etc...)
From client side you just need to add one extra step, which you mentioned, calling SmartFox.InitCrypto() right after the connection.

Return to “SFS2X C# API”