UDP for MMOItems and User Variables ?

Post here your suggestions for new possible features in SmartFoxServer 2X.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

genar

UDP for MMOItems and User Variables ?

Postby genar » 09 Mar 2021, 23:00

What about a possible way to send MMOItem attributes and User Variables as UDP instead of TCP ?
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: UDP for MMOItems and User Variables ?

Postby Lapo » 10 Mar 2021, 08:59

Server Variables (User/Room/MMOItem etc...) are supposed to be reliable because they represent the state of a specific entity.
If Variables are transmitted via UDP some players will receive the update and others won't, loosing state synchronization across Users/Rooms etc.

I don't think it's a good idea to use UDP in this context. I'd rather use custom UDP Extension calls.

Cheers
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
genar

Re: UDP for MMOItems and User Variables ?

Postby genar » 10 Mar 2021, 12:41

Lapo wrote:Server Variables (User/Room/MMOItem etc...) are supposed to be reliable because they represent the state of a specific entity.
If Variables are transmitted via UDP some players will receive the update and others won't, loosing state synchronization across Users/Rooms etc.

I don't think it's a good idea to use UDP in this context. I'd rather use custom UDP Extension calls.

Cheers

Understandable, thats why i thought its probably a good addition to the reliable variables ^^ For example position variables could make use of UDP. Same with other "streaming" variables. A great example are bullets as MMOItems. So it might be worth as an addition instead of an replacement. It depends on the use case and of course... the developer himself is responsible of using it.

Return to “2X Features Wish List”