planning for red5 chat app requirements!!

Post your questions and bug-reports about the audio/video streaming add-on based on Red5 Media Server.

Moderators: Lapo, Bax

wadapav

planning for red5 chat app requirements!!

Postby wadapav » 29 Jan 2019, 17:48

We are planning a redbox chat app (one performer many viewers, via Redbox cast manager), and was just wondering if there are any guidelines on the server and bandwidth requirements, eg

how to calculate required bandwidth / servers per number of users?
do we need terracotta for scaling only with red5 or is there a simpler solution?
how to limit the kb per second for Red5 to 100 kbps?
Can I see red5 load from smartfox admin panel?

I understand the standalone smartfox can handle 40-60 thousand concurrent connections on a single powerful machine, but when we add red5 into the mix, it becomes somewhat less clear on how to plan the requirements.
Last edited by wadapav on 30 Jan 2019, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Lapo
Site Admin

Re: planning for red5 chat app requirements!!

Postby Lapo » 30 Jan 2019, 09:10

Hi,

It depends on many variables, such as the type of broadcast, type of compression/quality etc...
Best way to find out is to build a prototype and test it locally. Once you have figured out the amount of bandwidth used for a single session you can extrapolate a ballpark figure for the expected amount of CCU.

do we need terracotta for scaling only with red5 or is there a simpler solution?

Honestly I don't know. This goes beyond the SmartFoxServer specific support and I think it would be best to discuss directly with the guys behind Red5. They certainly know better than we do :)

Again, I would refer to the Red docs or ask the Red5 support.

No, they are not integrated. Red5 runs in a separate process.

Hope it helps
Lapo
--
gotoAndPlay()
...addicted to flash games
wadapav

Re: planning for red5 chat app requirements!!

Postby wadapav » 31 Jan 2019, 09:04

Lapo wrote:Hi,

It depends on many variables, such as the type of broadcast, type of compression/quality etc...
Best way to find out is to build a prototype and test it locally. Once you have figured out the amount of bandwidth used for a single session you can extrapolate a ballpark figure for the expected amount of CCU.

Honestly I don't know. This goes beyond the SmartFoxServer specific support and I think it would be best to discuss directly with the guys behind Red5. They certainly know better than we do :)

Again, I would refer to the Red docs or ask the Red5 support.

No, they are not integrated. Red5 runs in a separate process.

Hope it helps

thankz lapo

Return to “RedBox”